Local Olympian Shoots for the (Clay) STARS!

img_0665

img_0667

What an honour it was to be visited this morning by Rio Olympian, James Willett, who spoke of his time in Rio last month.

James shot an AMAZING round in the Olympic heats and scored 140 out of 150 – an Olympic Record! Overall, James came 5th in the medals round. He informed us that the Gold medallist was 49 years old, which just goes to show the longevity you can have in clay shooting AND the opportunities that are to come for the young athlete.

James has been shooting since he was 12 years old on his family farm in Corowa, near the NSW/VIC border. His family and friends in neighbouring farms built a shooting range on James’ farm to Olympic specifications so that he could train at home. James spends approximately 8 hours a day training and has travelled to many countries around the world to compete.

One of James’ Rio highlights was meeting other athletes in the Olympic Village. He even got to watch Novak Djokovic train!

James happily posed for photos with all the students and signed drink bottles, hats and even a guitar! We are so thrilled that he was able to come and share his Olympic experience with us.

Which part of James’ talk did you find the most fascinating?

Do you have a dream to compete at the Olympics? If so, in what event?

What do you think are some of the obstacles that a young athlete faces in their quest to become an Olympian?

26 thoughts on “Local Olympian Shoots for the (Clay) STARS!

1. HI 4HS,
    1.I think my favorite thing he said was
    he had to get surgery on his cheek.

2.BMXing so I can go on big jumps.

3. A lot of pretest to go to the Olympics and sorted score and a butterfly feeling.

Jake

2. Hi 4HS,
    1.I found this part most fascinating when he told us that he was only 20 years old that is fascinating . 2. If I wanted to be a Olympian I would choose clay shooting.3. I think a big obstacles would be money, James exclaimed that he’s gun cost $16,000.
    From Ethan

3. Hi 4HS,

I think he was very funny and entertaining.
    When I grow up I might get into the Olympics and do cycling or clay shooting like James Willet.

By Alex

4. Hi 4HS,

I found it interesting that sometimes the vibration of the gun can split your cheek open!

If I were to go to the Olympics in the future, I would like to be a swimmer and compete in freestyle and breaststroke.

Some obstacles that Olympians would face may be financial costs (like travel costs, equipment and time to work outside of a training schedule).

It was really cool finding out about James’ Olympic life and his sport.

From Matilda

5. Hi 4HS,

I could not believe when he told us he was only twenty years old! I never knew there was such a thing as shooting a disc with a shot gun and how a new gun could be so much money! After I got his signature I was so happy I could scream!

From Lodi

6. Hi 4HS,

Wasn’t yesterday awesome getting to meet James Willet?! He talked about many interesting things. He talked about how much the equipment costs and how much time it takes to become an Olympian like himself. My cousin from England, went to an Olympics a while ago and had an awesome time just like Willet did!

I have always dreamed of going to the Olympics playing basketball.

Some of the obstacles that you would face at the Olympics would be all the financial costs. Also, having to reduce your hours available to train in order to work and raise money to support your sporting costs. The Olympics can be very dangerous in many sports. In James Willet’s sport [trap shooting], if you do not have the right sized fitted gun, the vibration of the gun can split your cheek open and you may need surgery.

James Willet is an AMAZING Australian Olympian that goes and represents our country.

From Ava

7. Hi 4HS,
    Wasn’t it exciting meeting a real clay shooter, James Willet! When I grow up, I have always dreamed of doing gymnastics in the Olympics or even swimming and I wouldn’t be surprised if I did diving. I wonder what will happen in the future? 🙂
    Gen

8. Hi 4HS,

On Tuesday P-6 had a very special visitor from the Olympics, he was a double barrel trap shooter. James Willet said that the people how lived around him all gave some money to make a shooting range. He also said that his gun cost $16,000.
    By Wil

9. G’day 4HS,

I found it fascinating hearing James talk about the gun he uses.

If I went to the Olympics, I would be a motor cross rider if the sport existed as an Olympic event.

The most common injury with a gun is splitting your cheek due to the kick back of the gun after firing.

From Cody

10. Hello 4HS,

I found it fascinating that a local kid qualified for the Olympics in clay shooting.

If I went into the Olympics, I would compete in gymnastics. I would be scared about falling off the bars!

From Riley